Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Stone-maker, have pedal edema, renal stones. History of open surgery for a stag horn calculus, lithotripsy. Treatment options?

I have pedal adema and am a stonemaker. My stones are composed of calcium oxalate . How serious is this? Could I possibly ever need dialysis? This is my worst fear. Ive had open surgery for a staghorn calculus ten years ago, several lithotripsy procedures . I had lithotripsy done one week ago but the treatment was unsuccessful. Currently I have stones on both sides. The pedal edema has been going on for two weeks. What is your opinlon of what to do ?
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
  User's Response
Hi, many thanks for the query!
As you are recurrent stoneformer, do - Metabolic workup of 24 hrs
urine sample, Sr. PTH, Sr. Calcium, Sr. Uric acid.
B/L obstruction to urine outflow due to stones may compromise renal function, do- RFT, USG KUB.
Dialysis is needed when renal function is severely compromised, in your case, your Sr. creatinine (more than say 7.5 to 8) will decide need for dialysis.
You haven't mentioned exact size & site of your stones.
Lithotripsy failure is expected as Ca-oxalate stones are very hard to break by ESWL, need to be removed by scopy/open procedure.
Wish you a good health.
Take care.
Answered: Fri, 12 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor