Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Stomach gurgling after meals, tightness, pain. Earlier had sinus infection. What is wrong?

Hello. I have been having trouble with my stomach for quite some time now and I can not seem to figure out the problem. Whenever I eat, my stomach instantly begins to gurgle quite loudly and uncomfortably, to the point where I do not wish to continue eating, but attempt to finish my meal. Then upper middle part of my stomach begins to feel very tight and pain begins to pulse through my hips. This goes on for about an hour and a half, but the gurgling will continue for hours afterward. I have never been a frequent bathroom going to begin with, but I had a sinus infection over the winter along with heart burn/acid feeling in the back of my throat (which neither had ever happened before). I realized I hadn't gone to the restroom in nearly two weeks, and took one laxative. Now I notice that every time I go to the restroom (if I can) there is a yellow fatty looking mucus in the stool. Also, when I try to use the restroom, my stomach will gurgle and make me feel nauseous, so I stop trying and wait. I have not seen a doctor yet for these issues but plan on going after I take finals. What could be wrong?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms can be caused by intestines bacterial infection. Especially if you have been taking antibiotics for sinus infection. Due to antibiotic use, regular intestinal bacteria are destroyed. This allows bad bacteria to colonize intestines. This can cause all mentioned by you symptoms.
If you are over the age of 50, colon cancer should be ruled out with such symptoms as well. Due to this disease, partial bowels obstruction can appear and give symptoms mentioned by you.
Other possible reason of your symptoms is inflammatory bowels disease (Crohns disease).

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some tests done. If you are younger than 50, stool tests, stool culture tests, blood work, abdominal ultrasound should be done at first. If you are over the age of 50, colonoscopy should be done.
You may also discuss with your doctor Rifaximine treatment. This special antibiotic can be very helpful with chronic bowels infections. You should also start taking probiotic.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sun, 23 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor