Is sedimentation rate of 80 a cause concern while having Crohn's disease?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: My niece has crowns diease her send rate is 80
What other tests can be done
I know her crohnss is an autoimmune but she's in the hospital they have done cat scan shows nothing
What can I tell them to do
She is 31 yrs old has had it since 16
She has had over 40 operations she is in pain even with dilaudid Benadryl
Ativan Valium she's in pain her last op they sewed her anus up she has a a
Stoma that's not working
What can I suggest to help her?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She probably has overwhelming adhesions!

Detailed Answer:

She has many adhesions which explain why she’s n so much pain. Theses adhesions are not amenable to surgery as multiple surgery make them many and any further surgery only increases her risk. He best way forward is identifying the right pain medications including anticholinergics and smooth muscle relaxants that help her through.With pain control comes the dilemma of managing constipation and more complicated in someone with several surgeries and Crohn’s disease.

In all, only pain medications as surgery wouldn’t help with the adhesions. Let her be evaluated and managed by a pain specialist.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah