Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Speech therapy for a 5 years old boy

Is there any speech therapy schools near erode. my sister s son is not speaking well. only he speaks mom and uncle and few words. but his age is 5. what shall we do now?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Apr 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  231
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Please contact a Speech Language pathologist/speech therapist immediately..
Children's speech and language development follows a typical pattern. For example at first birth day the normal children speak at least one meaningful word, at the age of 2 years they should able to combined two words and at the age of 3years expected to speak in sentences .The deviation in such pattern is considered as delayed speech and language.
Mostly it is associated with Autism, hearing impairment, mental retardation, inadequate speech and language stimulation at home, cleft lip and palate, ADHD, specific language impairment. Early professional help (Speech language therapy) can be very much effective for developing the communication skills and achieving academic goal among such children. If you will wait, than what about academic goal? Without communication he/she will lag in academic also. After the detection of delayed speech and language now a day’s below one year also you can start speech therapy. Five years is too late.2-3 year is the golden period for speech therapy in delayed speech and language cases. At earlier age plasticity in the brain will be more. Most of the Indian doctors are lagging their knowledge about speech language therapy. I don't know without knowledge of speech language therapy how can they are giving suggestion instead of referring to a speech language pathologist.
How is delayed speech and language diagnosed?
Speech language pathologist administers some speech and language test on the child .Also take an interview of the parents related to speech language development and case history of the problem and speech mechanism examination of the child. Based on collected information, comparing with the normative for that age group, they will diagnose the problem.

Please check speech language and hearing information at:

Sanjay Kumar
B.Sc. (Hons.) Speech and Hearing, AIIMS New Delhi
M.Sc. Speech Language Pathology, AIISH Mysore
Consultant Speech Language Pathologist, Speech Therapist, Voice Therapist, Audiologist
Mobile: 9900295717
Answered: Mon, 2 May 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
At the age of 5 it is too early to go for speech therapy,your sister and in laws are very good teachers for him. They should try to teach him,taking good strain for it.They speak some words and try to make speak these words by him,go on this way repeatedly and finally he will start speaking.
One thing you see that underneath the tongue is it joint with any structure below,it is called tongue tie.If it is there you he should go for small procedure of tongue release.
If it is ok then try and try for making him speak.
Answered: Mon, 25 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor