Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Small child, suffering from constipation. Prescribed osmoflex, magfil, no relief. Treatment?

my son who is 3.11 years of age and last 2 years he is suffering in constipation . Everyday he is trying for toilet but few like liquid is coming from his .....throughout the day.Local child specialist suggested various syrup like osmolex, magfil and glycerine suppositor, ointment to use inside but no result. Doctors says encopacesis withdrawal behaviour during desace in action.He usually drink milk,egg, chicken and when he tries for toilet he tries to keep his leg together.what can we do to remove his constipation.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  19
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thanks for your query.

Constipation is basically a nutritional issue unless some pathology is there in the large intestines. As you have mentioned his diet which is very low in roughage he is bound to be constipated and there has been no effect of the laxatives given to him. I suggest you modify his diet to include roughage. You can visit the site where I have provided details for such a diet.

Simultaneously you can use glycerine suppository for a few days so as to facilitate the removal of hard stools till the diet starts having its effect.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best..


Answered: Sun, 14 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor