Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Shin hurt. Bruise visible with pain. What else can I do?

Three weeks ago, I was playing softball in the day and my right shin got hit by a really fast ground ball. I didn t check it though I felt pain and late that night I noticed there was swelling in the area and that indeed it had badly bruised. I had a hard time walking especially when I put down my leg from an elevated position. It was really really painful. The bruise is still very visible up to now though its not as bad as before but there s still a bit of swelling, there s very little pain. I continued to play softball during the last two Sundays but limited my playing time. I m female and 30 years old.
Asked On : Sat, 22 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  20
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response

Thanks for your query
The injury you suffered is called periosteitis that is traumatic injury to sheath of the bone, leading to swelling and bruise at the shin. My advice would be Ice fomentation, ibuprofen and trypsin/chymotrysin to reduce pain and swelling along with rest.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.
Orthopaedic surgeon
Answered: Tue, 1 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor