Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Severe tooth ache, painful abscess on the gum. Need medical attention?

hey, i recently been having a bad tooth ache in my one of my bottom row back teeth very bad and i thought it was due to a bad cavity that was forming, this went on for almost 1 and a half weeks but happily the pain finally went away but i noticed 3 days ago i had lump on between my bottom gum and tooth which i later did research and found out it was an abscess , but yet i feel no pain where the abscess has formed?. As i can remember i didn t have that lump when my tooth/gum pain was occuring on my bottom tooth, the abscess appeared after those 1 and a half weeks of pain i went through in my mouth, is this something i should be concerned about? thanks. please reply asap
Asked On : Thu, 3 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  70
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
hello i understood ur problem,generally u will have 3 layers enamel dentin pulp,if cavity enters in to pulp then we will severe pain ,so we should take all the pulp and we should fill with gp sticks and we should give a ceramic cap
Answered: Thu, 3 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepika Attresh's  Response
Hello and welcome
As lump is there pus has made its way to drain through gingiva, so there is no more periapical pressure & you are not feeling any pain but it does not mean that there is no infection or no need for any treatment.
If this condition will remain as such this may lead to space infection or bone resorption.
visit your dentist as soon as possible and after an X-ray go for RCT if tooth is firm & can be preserved or extraction.
Don't do any heat application by yourself.
thanks and take care.
Answered: Sat, 5 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Chaithanyaa Nemaly's  Response
Hello there...yes you require medical attention...a decayed tooth involving the pulp would initially be painful....At times when the tooth becomes non-vital the pain subsides...but the infection spreads to the apical part of your tooth...As the necrosed material of your tooth gets accumulated within it, it progresses to abscess.... abscess is nothing but the localized collection of pus... Only when the abscess starts becoming bigger the pus within spreads to the adjoining spaces and starts showing up on your face...the pus has to spread at the cost of bone resorption and compressing the adjacent tissues...that is when you would have pain...before it progresses to the space infection get yourself treated.... The treatment would be in the form of root canal or extraction... Consult your dental surgeon for clinical evaluation and management...
Answered: Fri, 4 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor