Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Severe pain from the tooth, numbness on the face. Need to go for a root canal treatment?

I have a tooth that has been broken for more than 6 months. And I needed treatment long ago but I ve been putting it off because of financial reasons and also it doesn t hurt everyday. Now it started hurting really bad 2 days ago and now the left side of my face has lost movement...this has never happened before, is this a symptom of not getting a root canal?
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  60
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response
hello there,

According to your history i can suspect your infected tooth has gone worse due to spread of infection to the underlying tissues.

The symptoms pf pain and swelling needs to be subsided by a course of antibiotic and analgesics before starting treatment.

The infected tooth can be treated by root canal procedure to devitalise it permanently and save the tooth or of the prognosis is poor the tooth can be extracted.

get an x ray done the affected area and approach a dentist for the treatment.

meantime you can start with antibiotic augmentin 625mg with analgesics two times daily, this helps in subsiding the swelling and pain.

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend

Thanks for sharing your concern.

As your history suggests that you required root canal treatment long back but you could not get it done,so it is quite possible that an abscess has developed in the concerned tooth and it has affected the surrounding area too.

An infection might have spread and has been putting pressure on nerves of the face causing temporary numbness.

Now do not worry and do not delay it anymore.

visit your dentist ant get x ray done so that the under lying pathology can be traced and treated.

For any developed abscess,it has to be well drained,where as any cyst or tumor has to be managed differently.

Analgesic and antibiotic can be started after oral evaluation by dentist.

Hope it helps.

Take care.
Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm,

The broken tooth may be infected which has spread into periapical area.
An X-RAY will help to rule out infection underlying.
Tooth has to be restored or root canal treated depending on severity of infection.
If tooth cannot be saved,get it extracted.
Take complete course of antibiotics analgesics prescribed.
Take adequate rest.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Frequent ice packs has to be applied on the affected area.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Tooth pain indicates infection of tooth that had involved the pulpal tissues , you said you had a history of trauma with the same tooth 6 months back.

I would suggest you to get clinical evaluation of the tooth done and take an x-ray of the tooth depending upon which the treatment will be decided , probably you have to go for root canal treatment of the tooth followed by prosthetic crown placement.

Take tab amoxiclav 625 twice and tab Zerodol twice for five days .
Maintain a good oral hygiene , use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor