Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
170 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Severe anxiety, depression and panic attacks. Permanent solution?

My husband suffers from severe anxiety and panic attacks. Whenever he hears about some bad things happening around like a death of a distant relative, illness etc he becomes very depressed and gets these panic attacks. He starts crying and screaming. Of late this behavior is repeating quite frequently and in public places also. Is there any permanent solution for this.
Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi there, thanks for asking. Panic attacks are treatable. There are good medications and also talk sessions can help for this purpose and also would be the ultimate choice in order to stop the medications after a year or so. There are good medication to control it acutely and there are medications that would be the main part of therapy and are not addictive and are without side effects or with very little ones. I suggest that he sees a doctor and tell about the issue. I wish him the best.
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
Your husbands behavior can be a form of stress reaction than a panic disorder. You seem to be concentrating on drugs but what your husband probably needs is talk therapy and behavioral therapy. Do meet your psychiatrist and discuss these issues with him/her.
In psychiatric illnesses there are mostly no permanent solutions, but there will be significant change in his behaviour.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

tWhat would you prescribe to help someone with these problems. Extreme anxiety, depression, panic attacks, heart loud and have had a heart attack...

Recent questions on  Talk therapy

doctor1 MD

I suffer from very intense MDD. No comorbitity. I have had it for 15 years and tried every Med. My current psychiatrist determined based on blood...

doctor1 MD

When you're psychosomatic, does your subconscious control your symptoms, and if so how do you get it to stop ?

doctor1 MD

My daughter was diagnosed with major depression . We saw a psychiatrist who only prescribed low dosage of klonapin which does not help her get out...

doctor1 MD

My son is 18 and has been suffering from severe anxiety. His psychiatrist gave him klonopin . He is also providing him with talk therapy for 1.5...

doctor1 MD

I recently was going to therapy where I was diagnosed with depression and that everything I was saying sounded neurological and didn't want to put...

doctor1 MD

Tried talk therapy in 2007, which gave me tools to calm down, but never relieved my actual anxiety/depression/ptsd. I'm 23 years old, female, was...