Suggest treatment for chronic and resistant depression

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I suffer from very intense MDD. No comorbitity. I have had it for 15 years and tried every Med. My current psychiatrist determined based on blood analysis that I have an extremely HIGH tolerance to all meds. I’ve already tried a full round of TMS to no avai. Question: I abhor talk therapy and despite trying it several times, no avail. My plan was to force myself to do it for a year or so— then complete ECT. But honestly, I I’m so desperate due to my worsening depression, I want to begin ECT now. I’m even willing to do do both simultaneously but I need relief. Please help me so very much. FYI, I’m not suicidal, I’ve received complete cooperation from my doctors but my ENTIRE life has come to a grinding halt.

Must I 1st receive deep and thorough talk therapy /CBT/psychotherapy & postpone ECT or do both simultaneously?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
ECT should be priority

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

In my opinion for chronic and resistant depression ECT can be used without spending time for talk therapy or other forms of psychotherapy. As per the available data ECT is safest, most effective and least time taking treatment modality for depression on the current day.

I understand that there is no suicidability but it does not mean that you need to prolong suffering for something which was not effective in past.

In case your doctor thinks ECT is too much invasive treatment modality, Ketamine is another option which takes much less time to all other modes of treatment for depression.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have ore questions.
Thanks and regards.