Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

143 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for chronic and resistant depression

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar


Practicing since :2000

Answered : 2678 Questions

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I suffer from very intense MDD. No comorbitity. I have had it for 15 years and tried every Med. My current psychiatrist determined based on blood analysis that I have an extremely HIGH tolerance to all meds. I’ve already tried a full round of TMS to no avai. Question: I abhor talk therapy and despite trying it several times, no avail. My plan was to force myself to do it for a year or so— then complete ECT. But honestly, I I’m so desperate due to my worsening depression, I want to begin ECT now. I’m even willing to do do both simultaneously but I need relief. Please help me so very much. FYI, I’m not suicidal, I’ve received complete cooperation from my doctors but my ENTIRE life has come to a grinding halt.

Must I 1st receive deep and thorough talk therapy /CBT/psychotherapy & postpone ECT or do both simultaneously?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
ECT should be priority

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

In my opinion for chronic and resistant depression ECT can be used without spending time for talk therapy or other forms of psychotherapy. As per the available data ECT is safest, most effective and least time taking treatment modality for depression on the current day.

I understand that there is no suicidability but it does not mean that you need to prolong suffering for something which was not effective in past.

In case your doctor thinks ECT is too much invasive treatment modality, Ketamine is another option which takes much less time to all other modes of treatment for depression.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have ore questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Ketamine

doctor1 MD

Hi.. does ketamine cause constipation? I have crohns disease and i am not getting sufficient pain relief as the doctors wont give me morphine or codeine as im prone to blockages. An answer asap would be great as i am seeing my consultant in gastro clinic thismorning and would like to suggest it if it would be ok to take while they figure out what to do with me. I cant carry on with this pain anymore which my gp suggested taking paracetamol for, i have had crohns for 11 years now so believe me that does not touch my pain. Many thanks in advance Claire.

doctor1 MD


I recently snorted some ketamine ( around 3 grams in a space of 3-4 days). I had a huge line to finish it off and pretty much passed out. For 3days after I was bed ridden with stomach pains, constipation/ diarhoea and blood in my stool. Now the pains have gone and I am able to move around and eat almost as much as is my usual appetite. I am worried because there is consistently blood in my stool everytime I go to the toilet ( the final wipe or two being completely red). Should I be concerned or should this heal in time???

doctor1 MD

Just had 5 th Ketamine inf, 4 & 5 produced NO EFFECTS, EVEN THO DOC INCREASED DOSE BY 20% ON 5TH TRY. There was, I repeat no relaxation no comfort , nothing. He said he simply had not seen this before. Any ideas?

doctor1 MD

This is question about mental XXXXXXX Hope you are qualified. I have had genealized aniety disorder off and on since was 26 I am now 70. At time I have had depression with it. usually brought on by some kind of percieved stress . My wife died...

doctor1 MD

im 21, 5'9", and weigh around 11 stone..I have been sniffing ketamine for the last 3 years and have started to get really bad pains from my bladder and it hurts when i go to the toilet.. I have been reading stories by other people about irreversible bladder damage and fear that i have gone to far and now its too late.