Is Ketamine therapy advisable for depression?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
This is question about mental XXXXXXX Hope you are qualified.
I have had genealized aniety disorder off and on since was 26 I am now 70. At time I have had depression with it. usually brought on by some kind of percieved stress. My wife died about 18 months ago and that has been a major challenge for me. In my life I have tried many anti deprssants. A few of them seemd to work quite well but after taking them for several years they would loose thier effectiveness or maybe a new stressor would come up and I would have a setback into anxiety and some depression. Since my wife died I have not found any medications that help much. Of course maybe I would be worse without them I don't know. Recently my doctor put me on Trintellix about 4 weeks ago. I haven't noticed any improvement but i seem to have more thoughts of gloom and doom, blackness. darkness and fear. I wonder if it could be the trintellix . It just feels differnt emotionally also complete lack of libido and not able to have any sexual feelings.

What about Ketamine therapy?
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Trntellix will take time to show its effects.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your problem. Trintellix takes time to show its effects. If you are seeing improvement in some symptoms and you have thoughts of gloom, doom, blackness, darkness, fear etc then these are not due to Trintellix but due to persistent depressive symptoms. Wait for some more time and you will be alright. If needed dose adjustments in Trintellix can be done.

Lack of libido could be due to depression, dose of medicine and also due to advancing age (if the libido reduced gradually over the years). This should be evaluated properly.

Ketamine therapy is a good and new therapy for resistant depression symptoms. But in long term and maintenance the therapy is not very useful. For acute symptoms the drug can be given a try.

Thanks and Take care