Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Sensitive, bleeding teeth, difficulty chewing, receding gums. Treatment options?

Sir,i am 44 and my dentist has told me that your gums are receeding due to plaque/tarter in past(It has been partly removed now). I have very sensitive teeth and one or two of my teeth are loose and bleeding sometimes.It is very difficult to chew some times. is it possible to revive my receeded gums? how to stop my teeth from bleeding , any medicine/remedy/procedure?
Asked On : Thu, 22 Nov 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  111
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welocme to HCM
Your history suggests that you have dual problem of plaque and gingival problem (gum problem).
The loosening of teeth is due to gum problem.

Receeding of gums takes place due wrong brushing technique. The gums become inflamed and bleed easily.
Minimal trauma causes injury to gums and bleeding.
Plaque/ tartar deposition on the teeth causes staining of teeth and also damages the gums.

First of all you have to improve your brushing technique- brushing strokes should be soft and not harsh. It should be up and down and not side ways. You can visit your dentist and see the demonstarion of brushin.
Secondily, the plaque/ tartar should be removed (scaling).
Thirdly, the inflammation of the gums should be relieved. You should take saline gargles.
Removal of plaque/ tartar and saline gargles will provide relief to gums.

Consult your dentist for further treatment.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Answered: Thu, 22 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi and welcome,
After going through your symptoms i can say you are suffering from advanced periodontitis. It is inflammation of the attachment apparatus of the teeth leading to recession of gums ,bleeding gums and sensitivity due to exposure of roots and furcation areas followed by mobility of the teeth and if not treated exfloliation of teeth.
As your age is concerned i would suggest you to get your BLOOD SUGAR levels and THYROID levels examined which will help in deciding the treatment plan.
Maintain good oral hygiene , scaling and root planing should be done every 4 months. get and OPG radiograph done which will show the amount of bone loss accordingly your dentist can plan a Periodontal Flap Surgery for you which will prevent further damage and restore the health of gums and teeth.
take care.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
Apart from deposits around teeth, receding gums can be because of forceful brushing or can be attributed to smoking or can be because of traumatic bite.With just a few simple steps a day, you can prevent receding gums and gum disease.Good oral hygiene is the best way to pevent recession of gums.Floss your teeth twice a day.Apply minimal pressure while brushing your teeth to avoid stripping away the gum tissues.Use a soft-bristled brush to brush your teeth and brush your gums gently to prevent them from receding.Chew on crunchy foods like apples and carrots that gently remove plaque. They also increase the secretion of saliva that helps to wash down the bacteria that causes gums to recede.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
Depending on the degree of recession, treatments include changing brushing habits, deep cleaning by a dentist, and dental surgery to repair the gum damage.
those who suffer receding gums due to overly exuberant brushing, consider switching to a softer bristled toothbrush and ask your dental hygienist for tips to improve your technique.
For those with severely receded gums, a graft from another part of the mouth may be the only option for treatment. If the damage is not quite as bad, then a dentist can clean any gaps or holes in the teeth and gums, and then fill them in with a material that stops the gums from receding further and stimulates re-growth.
I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Wed, 6 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Welcome to the forum.
You are suffering from gum disease and to prevent this :-
•Brush twice a day for at least 3 minutes each time and floss daily. If you're not sure whether you're brushing or flossing properly, your dentist or dental hygienist can show you the best techniques.
•Always brush with toothpaste that contains fluoride. Daily mouth rinses containing fluoride are also recommended.
•Use a toothbrush with soft, polished bristles, as these are less likely to irritate or injure gum tissue. Be sure to replace your toothbrush at least every 3 to 4 months - a worn-out toothbrush can injure your gums.

•Eat a healthy diet - avoid snacks and junk foods packed with sugar that plaque-causing bacteria love to feed on.
•Don't smoke! Cigarettes and chewing tobacco cause mouth irritation and are very unhealthy for gums and teeth.
•Regular dental care is extremely important in helping to keep your mouth healthy
I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Gingival recession is caused by deposition of calculus and plaque which on long standing will lead to bone loss and mobility of the teeth .
This will lead to sensitivity as the teeth is exposed to oral environment.
This can be treated depending on the loss of the bone and gingiva.
Bone graft if acceptable can be placed where the teeth mobility is present and gingival flap surgery.
Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor