Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Right foot swollen after falling. Elevated foot, put ice. Hard to walk. Suggestions?

I was walking and almost fell with a year old in my arms. So, I was ale to grab a seat to keep from falling but my right foot is swollen on the top right half. I was walking for approximately 1.5 hrs after this happened today. I have elevated my foot and put ice on it for 15 - 20 minutes on and off (twice so far). I walked to the kitchen and its a lot harder to walk since I out the ice on it. Can I do anything to make this better?
Asked On : Thu, 1 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for your query.

Your problem is due to sprain of the ankle/foot muscles with consequent swelling (collection of water in the tissues).

Sprain takes a long time (around 2 weeks to heal), provided adequate rest is given to the foot/ankle.

Hence, take the following steps :-

* 5 days' course of anti-inflammatory cum pain-killers (such as, a combination of ibuprofen + paracetamol) THRICE daily to reduce pain and swelling.

* Tie an elastic crepe bandage (available OTC) extending from the toes to mid-leg level. Keep it tied the WHOLE DAY and remove only at bedtime. This should continue daily for 10-14 days.

* Elevation of the affected limb the whole night daily, till swelling disappears.

* Minimal weight on the affected leg.

* Warm compresses TWICE DAILY - in a strong solution of salt: 500gm of salt in 1/2 bucket of hot water. You can use the same solution daily by simply warming it to a tolerable temperature: immerse your foot in the solution for 15-20 minutes twice daily.

Sometimes, a sudden, violent stretching of the muscles can even case hair-line fractures. Hence, it is mandatory to get an x-ray of foot + ankle done to rulu out a fracture.

Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agree with me, order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised.

In case of any further queries, revert back to me THROUGH DIRECT PREMIUM QUERY (Paid), addressed to me personally. You will receive- almost immediately- my response in great details.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” (5-star rating) to my answer, to ENCOURAGE all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Answered: Tue, 26 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor