Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Rib injury, severe pain, unable to understand if its bruised, cracked or broken. Treatment options?

I have 2 questions. First I received a blow to the right side of my ribs a few weeks ago. I don t have insurance to tell if it s bruised, cracked, or broken but it still hurts to same. How could I find out without going to a dr? Second question is how would I know if I have an extra rib? When I try feeling for them it feels like I might.
Asked On : Mon, 10 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  18
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The only way to know if you have an extra rib is by getting an X-ray done. If you can feel a crepitus at the site of pain on slight pressing or on deep breathing then a rib fracture is likely. You cannot rule out a fracture like this.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Fri, 14 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor