• question-icon

What causes heat sensation in the lower buttock?

Posted on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: for about a month I have been getting a heat sensation in my lower left butt/ glute its not painful just feels like I have a heating pad on my butt . up until the last couple days it came and went now its more steady thoughts
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from your description that type of abnormal sensation seems due to involvement of peripheral nerves supplying sensation from that area. According to the distribution it seems in the area of the cluneal nerves which originate by the sacral nerve roots. It is not a common site for the nerves to be involved. Causes may be different starting, mainly due to compression from inflammation of the muscular skeletal system, the joints, muscle and fascia in that region. Inflammation may be due to a past trauma, muscle strain and spasms in the sacral region.
Other possibilities would be nerve damage from metabolic alterations like diabetes, but it would be a really atypical nerve involvement, usually affects other nerves.

So for the moment I would try only some rest from your regular workout for 2-3 weeks. Most likely it will spontaneously improve. If symptom does not improve or on the contrary worsens you should check with your physician for other signs upon movement and palpation as well as neurological signs indicating involvement of other nerves. A pelvic MRI may also be considered.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist