• question-icon

What causes sharp pain in the chest during physical activity?

Posted on Thu, 7 Jul 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, I just got home from work and did not feel like going to the gym so i decided to do workouts just here at home. I started doing some squats with just body weight and when I got to my 11th rep I got a pain in my chest, felt like my heart. Kind of a sharp pain, lasted 3 or 4 seconds and was gone. It has been about 3 hours now and i feel fine. Just would like to know what might have happened. I am 24 years old and have not had any history of heart problems or other problems. In the military so I exercise regularly.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not related to any cardiac disorders.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and understand your concern.

I would like to explain that your symptoms and pain characteristics (sharp pain) are not typical of any cardiac disorder.

This pain is probably caused by your musculo-skeletal system (a muscular distension, etc.).

So you have nothing to worry about!

I would recommend having some rest and avoid straining physical activity in the next days.

If you still have chest pain, triggered by body motion or respiration, I would recommend taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen, which are really useful in this type of pain.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist