Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Pus draining from gum, history of sinus injury and jaw fracture. Should I be alarmed?

Hi. I woke up this morning with pus draining from a small hole in my upper gum line very close to my upper jaw bone/ joint . I can push on my cheek and it flows out in a thick very smelly line. I don t have any teeth on this side...just a bridge and it is anchored to my front teeth. My sinus on this side has been creating misery and when I look down my cheek clearly is extended. I have had sinus surgery in the past but it was over 15 years ago and most of this side has been removed. I was in a car accident that caused me to break every bone in my face...jaw was 14 fractures all by itself. I am now completely terrified of any problem because I just want to be normal...pain free and no more problems! Now this...should I be alarmed by this or could pus be a really bad sinus infection and draining thru my mouth is the only path it can go. Thank you for your help...if you can.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  168
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking he query,

As you have mentioned you have bridge on the affected side, due to poor oral hygiene and food lodgement there can been inflammation of the surrounding tissues and abscess formation.
Drainage of abscess in the oral cavity leads to nausea, vomitting, halitosis and stomach infections.

You are also having history of sinus surgery , I would suggest you to visit to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and get the clinical evaluation done, take an x-ray of the tooth.

Get the abscess drained by the Dentist.
Go for scaling, polishing and curettage at the required site.

Take a course of tab Augmentin 625 mg , tab acecolofenac serratiopeptidase thrice for 3-5 days .
Use antiseptic mouthwash gargles like chlorhexidine or betadine gargles twice daily to prevent further infections.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
since you have a bridge at the site of pus discharge,the cause may be poor oral hygiene maintenance.
there is chance of food lodgement and thereby gingivitis causing inlammed gums and pus discharge.
this can also be due to the history of sinus surgery.
visit your dentist and get a thorough check-up.
get deep scaling done.root planning and curettage along with drainage of pus has to be done at the required site.
always brush your teeth using soft interdental brush and massage your gums using gum tone gel..
maintain good oral hygiene.
take antibiotic course completely after draining the pus.
Answered: Sun, 28 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
it seems that the purulent or pus discharge is coming from the sinus .your sinus could have got infected due to poor oral hygiene maintained underneath the bridge. it is your right to be healthy but since you describe your problem to be complex, i believe arriving at a conclusion by your description without close examination is not justified.
i recommend you go to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for expert management.
take care and don't worry
Answered: Thu, 1 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.

An abscess in your tooth is caused by bacterial infections of your mouth that result in a buildup of fluid or pus around the root of your tooth. Symptoms of an abscessed tooth require medical treatment by a dentist or oral surgeon, and without treatment you may develop life-threatening complications.

Relieving the pain of an abscess can be done by applying a numbing agent on the infected area, taking ibuprofen or rinsing with warm salt water.

Drain the abscess. The abscess may rupture and drain on its own, but it is advisable to have the abscess drained by your dentist to ensure all of the infection is removed.

Have a followup checkup, including dental X-rays, to ensure the abscess has not done permanent damage. Severe abscesses may require the services of a qualified periodontist or endodontist.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you good health.
Answered: Fri, 26 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello there,

According to your history i can suspect a periodontal abscess in relation to upper jaw where the bridge is placed.

The infection has gone worse due to its spread to the underlying tissues that has lead to formation of a pus pocket.

The symptoms of pain and swelling needs to be subsided by a course of antibiotic and analgesics before starting treatment.

get an x ray examination done for the affected area and approach a dentist for the treatment.

This type of periodontal abscess drains in the oral cavity and may lead to nausea and vomiting.

the abscess needs to be drained and compressed in position followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesics will help in relieving the symptoms.

meantime you can start with antibiotic augmentin 625mg with analgesics two times daily, this helps in subsiding the swelling and pain.

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

An abscess is caused by bacterial infections that results in pus around the roots of your tooth.

Symptoms originating due to an abscessed tooth, require surgical treatment by oral surgeon.

if left untreated, you may develop severe complications.

therefore visit your dentist and get a clinical evaluation done.

Root planning and curettage along with deep scaling might help.

simultaneous drainage of pus is also required.

Take complete course of your antibiotics and prescribed analgesics for speedy recovery.

Hope you will be fine soon.

Take care.

Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor