Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Presbypia with reduced near vision. Ignore glasses? If not, buy reading glasses or progressive lenses?

Dear doctor, I m 45 yr old male with my FIRST eye glass prescription. OD= SPH: PL, CYL: -0.25 X 90, VA:6/6. OS= SPH: PL, CYL: -0.25 X 150. VA:6/6. ADD POWER +1.50. My optometrist says I have PRESBYPIA with reduced near vision . Far vision is OK. I have 2 questions: 1. Is my CYL error large enough to be corrected or I ignore and live with it? 2. Which glass is preferable: Only reading glasses for near vision or bifocals/prog lenses is better.
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  75
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Dear Kutub, Looking at your glass prescription your cylinder power is very less.I believe almost 90 % population will have that much cylinder.

If you are comfortable seeing distant object without needing any glasses there is no need to wear that cylinder power.Just buy a reading glass of +1.50DS.But if you are suffering from any headache and your clarity of vision is improving with 0.25 cyl then you must make the glass for distant correction too. Coming to your second question. If your distant vision is increasing with cylinder correction(clarity, sharpness and depth of vision) make a bifocal lens.If there is no improvement in distant vision even with cylinder correction ,use only reading glass and if you are more into system, computers and sedentary work then make a progressive glass as it helps in focusing the object depending on distance which you work.For example if your computer is at 50 cm from your eye you may need +1.0DS near add(under correction) and your reading glass now is +1.50DS that is at 30 cm from your eyes or working distance which is for reading books and newspaper.In such cases where you keep on flipping from system to reading notes or books better to go for progressive glass....TC and have safe eyes..Dr Ajay Shankar Kar, Cornea consultant, Sankar foundation eye hospital,Visakhapatnam.
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor