Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Poisoning : First aid

Poisoning: First aid Many conditions mimic the signs and symptoms of poisoning, including seizures, alcohol intoxication, stroke and insulin reaction. So look for the signs and symptoms listed below if you suspect poisoning, but check with the poison control center at 800-222-1222 (in the United States) before giving anything to the affected person. Signs and symptoms of poisoning: * Burns or redness around the mouth and lips, which can result from drinking certain poisons * Breath that smells like chemicals, such as gasoline or paint thinner * Burns, stains and odors on the person, on his or her clothing, or on the furniture, floor, rugs or other objects in the surrounding area * Empty medication bottles or scattered pills * Vomiting, difficulty breathing, sleepiness, confusion or other unexpected signs When to call for help: Call 911 or your local emergency number immediately if the person is: * Drowsy or unconscious * Having difficulty breathing or has stopped breathing * Uncontrollably restless or agitated * Having seizures If the person seems stable and has no symptoms, but you suspect poisoning, call the poison control center at 800-222-1222. Provide information about the person's symptoms and, if possible, information about what he or she ingested, how much and when. What to do while waiting for help: * If the person has been exposed to poisonous fumes, such as carbon monoxide, get him or her into fresh air immediately. * If the person swallowed the poison, remove anything remaining in the mouth. * If the suspected poison is a household cleaner or other chemical, read the label and follow instructions for accidental poisoning. If the product is toxic, the label will likely advise you to call the poison control center at 800-222-1222. Also call this 800 number if you can't identify the poison, if it's medication or if there are no instructions. * Follow treatment directions that are given by the poison control center.
Asked On : Thu, 11 Dec 2008
Answers:  2 Views:  1588
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Self-Care at Home If you or someone you know has swallowed or breathed a poison and you or they have signs or symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, pain, trouble breathing, seizure, confusion, or abnormal skin color, then you must call either an ambulance or the U.S. National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for guidance. This number is routed to the poison control center that serves your area. * Post the telephone number (along with police, fire, and 911 or equivalent) near your home phones. * Do not induce vomiting or give syrup of Ipecac. o Ipecac was previously used to induce vomiting in poisoned patients where there was a chance to get the toxin out of the body. Several advisory bodies such as the American Association of Poison Control Centers and the American Academy of Pediatrics have recommended that Ipecac NOT be used and that it should not even be kept in the household. For more information on this subject go to: *
Answered: Sat, 13 Dec 2008
  User's Response
What i feel is the first aid mgmt should be made compulsory in all the curriculams...
Answered: Wed, 17 Dec 2008
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor