Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

173 Doctors Online
Owl Image
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Poisoning : First aid

Poisoning: First aid Many conditions mimic the signs and symptoms of poisoning, including seizures, alcohol intoxication, stroke and insulin reaction. So look for the signs and symptoms listed below if you suspect poisoning, but check with the poison control center at 800-222-1222 (in the United States) before giving anything to the affected person. Signs and symptoms of poisoning: * Burns or redness around the mouth and lips, which can result from drinking certain poisons * Breath that smells like chemicals, such as gasoline or paint thinner * Burns, stains and odors on the person, on his or her clothing, or on the furniture, floor, rugs or other objects in the surrounding area * Empty medication bottles or scattered pills * Vomiting, difficulty breathing, sleepiness, confusion or other unexpected signs When to call for help: Call 911 or your local emergency number immediately if the person is: * Drowsy or unconscious * Having difficulty breathing or has stopped breathing * Uncontrollably restless or agitated * Having seizures If the person seems stable and has no symptoms, but you suspect poisoning, call the poison control center at 800-222-1222. Provide information about the person's symptoms and, if possible, information about what he or she ingested, how much and when. What to do while waiting for help: * If the person has been exposed to poisonous fumes, such as carbon monoxide, get him or her into fresh air immediately. * If the person swallowed the poison, remove anything remaining in the mouth. * If the suspected poison is a household cleaner or other chemical, read the label and follow instructions for accidental poisoning. If the product is toxic, the label will likely advise you to call the poison control center at 800-222-1222. Also call this 800 number if you can't identify the poison, if it's medication or if there are no instructions. * Follow treatment directions that are given by the poison control center.
Mon, 9 May 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
  User's Response
Self-Care at Home If you or someone you know has swallowed or breathed a poison and you or they have signs or symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, pain, trouble breathing, seizure, confusion, or abnormal skin color, then you must call either an ambulance or the U.S. National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for guidance. This number is routed to the poison control center that serves your area. * Post the telephone number (along with police, fire, and 911 or equivalent) near your home phones. * Do not induce vomiting or give syrup of Ipecac. o Ipecac was previously used to induce vomiting in poisoned patients where there was a chance to get the toxin out of the body. Several advisory bodies such as the American Association of Poison Control Centers and the American Academy of Pediatrics have recommended that Ipecac NOT be used and that it should not even be kept in the household. For more information on this subject go to: http://www.poison.org/prepared/ipecac.asp *
  User's Response
What i feel is the first aid mgmt should be made compulsory in all the curriculams...
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

What is the immidiate first aid for heart attack before taking to a hospital I mean while on the way to hospital

doctor1 MD

We are having a health drill in our college in 2 days .Is there somewhere that I can get details regarding the basics of first aid or if you could please get me the details yourself it will be good. Thank you sir.

doctor1 MD

reference:vazhum kalai payirchi [an exercise on art of living], thought in tamilnadu,india

Recent questions on Accidental poisoning

doctor1 MD

my friend drank harpic 4 weeks ago was hospitalized for 10 days, its been 4 weeks since that incident and she is still vomiting lot of blood, andis not able to eat anything, she solely on coconut water, what home care should we do for her

doctor1 MD

I work 12 hour swing shifts in a chemical lab and last year they found higher levels of carbon monoxide in my blood. Many people who rode in my car would get headaches and/or be tired often. I got rid of my car and my conditions greatly improved....

doctor1 MD

my son sprayed bleach water into his mouth, but spit it out, didn't drink it. he brushed and rinsed and says he is fine. should i be super worried or not!?