Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Pain in jaw, swollen gums, popping sensation, bleeding from gums. Treatment?

The other day I started to feel pain on the bottom right side of my jaw (like my wisdom tooth was coming in). Recently, it has been hurting, and the gum seemed swollen. I just assumed that was the tooth coming in. I was just chewing gum where this is happening, because it hurts, and a felt a popping sensation. I do not see any of the tooth exposed, however, puss and blood were coming out of the gum.
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  455
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response

your condition is called as pericoronitis. pericoronitis is a condition where there is inflammation of gums around unerupted or partially erupted tooth. it is most commonly seen in wisdom tooth (third molar ). this generally happens when there is no sufficient place for the tooth to erupt in the jaw. but the tooth tries to come out of the jaw. this results in partial eruption of tooth, and because of which there will be food accumulation and more plaque accumulation in that region resulting in inflammation in that area. it can also get infected easily and can cause abscess in that area (abscess =collection of pus ). this infection can be painful and there may be difficulty in opening mouth and swallowing food.
do visit dentist, depending on severity antibiotics may be prescribed, once acute condition subsides an xray will be taken to ascertain the position of tooth. based on xray findings and your age it will be decided whether it will erupt or not. if the conditions are favorable for eruption then a simple procedure is done to remove gums covering tooth and there by allowing it to erupt. if it is not favorable for eruption then it has to be extracted.

take care
Answered: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Arati C Koregol's  Response
welcome to Health care magic.
thanks for the detailed history of your problem.
the unerrupted 3 rd molar tooth is covered by the gum on top which is infected having pus in it called as periocoronal abscess. this is the reason for pain. so after a radiograph it can be clealy diagnosed whether the tooth is just covered by gum or is it deep into the bone which will require surgical step called impaction. if just gum coverage can go for treatment called operculectomy.
so consult your dentist for proper diagnosis and treatment. nothing to can be treated.
hope i have tried to answer your query.
take care
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hi..i advice you to get an x-ray of that area after consulting your dentist.after seeing x-ray we can diagnose your problem. there is a chance of wisdom tooth eruption.but we cannot confirm it without seeing your x-ray.there may be a chance of jaw dislocation or tmj tenderness.avoid wide opening of mouth and intake of hard and solid food.hope you get well soon.
Answered: Tue, 14 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Prosthodontics Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain's  Response
If it is the region of your wisdom tooth that means that the flap or the gums overlying the tooth is infected. This happens very commonly when there is a gap between your tooth and the gum tissue resulting in food lodgement in that area. It is extremely diffcult to clean it with a brush therefore you can either get the tooth extracted later or else get the flap removed (operculectomy). But right now all you need to do is warm saline gargles 3-4 times/day to cleanse the area along with a course of any good antibiotic and anti inflammatory drugs. Your problem should resolve soon. If possible i would recommend you to visit a dentist for clinical diagnosis and medicine prescription.
Answered: Tue, 14 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Varun Mishra's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm,
first of all if its swollen, then do not irritate it. take an appointment and get the X-ray done as you are assuming for the wisdom tooth.
sometimes gums gets swollen when the tooth is about to come and not getting enough space for it.
pus is coming as infection has started due to bacterial accumulation in the area caused by regular irritation.
henceforth, visit the dentist and get the X-ray done with appropriate measures also.

Answered: Tue, 14 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm forum,
i am glad you posted your query, i would like to inform you that you are currently suffering with pericoronitis(inflammation of the gingival flap that covers your erupting wisdom tooth).
as your wisdom tooth has still not erupted, i recommend you to visit your dentist because your tooth may be impacted and would need an X-ray to diagnose the cause.
do not worry, you will be fine ,just follow a few instruction until you visit your dentist;
1. warm saline rinses(3-4times/day),
2. use an antibacterial mouth wash(twice/day),
3. avoid chewing food from the affected side for a while.
your dentist will prescribe you antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication for a week,
i hope i answered you query,
i wish you good health.
Answered: Tue, 14 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor