Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

On antidepressant to treat mental illness. Unable to swallow. Should Haldol be given at old age?

Hi , My Father had been on many antidepressant and other meds to treat mental illness over the past six years. He became ill with some form of infection thispast december and could not swallow , he could not take his regular medication, trazadone and seroquel . He was in our local hospital, by the time i got there they had started him on Haldol. I could not believe the shape he was in. Extreme Delirium and had to placed in restraints to prevent him from hurting himself. On the forth day he passed away. The hospital agve him massive amounts of Haldol, large amounts of lorazepam and morphine in order to do a C T scan. My question is about my concern over the drug Haldol. I have had people say that his age and other drugs he had been on, Haldol was not the drug to be used. My Father had just turned seventy three years of age. Kind Regards, Sherry
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

What has happened has happened. I regret and am sorry about your father's loss. I think it is a time to grieve rather than think about what could have been done differently. There are varied opinions on how an agitated patient should be treated to get a proper CT scan done. However, I hope that your father's death was a peaceful one.

I hope you are at peace and please try not to dwell over the situation.

Take care and have a lovely day !
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. I feel sorry to hear of your father's death. With regard to haloperidol, low doses are indeed given in delirium though sedation with high dosage haloperidol for CT scan is controversial and different people might have different opinions. I would suggest you do dwell on past and allow the grief to resolve over time.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor