Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

On acid reducer for GERD. Having lump on chest, hurts when pressed. What could it be?

My boyfriend has been suffering from what we thought was GERD . He has been taking Acid Reducer as well as Tums and it backs off but never goes away. After a month I noticed his chest has a lump on his sternum to the left. Its small about the size of a grape but he keeps touching it and pressing and says it hurts. He s stubborn and wont go to a doctor. What can it be?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  73
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

This is unlikely for this lump to be associated with GERD. It is very hard for the lump inside the chest or abdomen to get through the tissues and be palpated outside. It is possible only for very large tumors, but such would give plenty of other symptoms.
So this lump can be sebaceus cyst or lymphoma. Both are benign and can be left without surgery.
IF you want to be sure, soft tissues ultrasound should be performed.
If it is about GERD, it should be diagnosed with upper GI endoscopy to make sure there is no peptic ulcer, cancer and if there is Helicobacter Pylori infection. Without is, such symptoms can be hardly treatable.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Fri, 23 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor