Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Numbness around the ear, muffled hearing. What to do?

The outside surrounding my right ear is numb and i have awaken 3 mornings recently in which this has happened.. My hearing is muffled but I have no ear pain. Yesterday I had a pain an inch above the top of my ear and there seemed to be a knot on that side of my head where the pain was, but today that is gone and but have the numbness and muffled hearing that has lasted all day. I went to the pharmacist he suggested I take Sudafed and it should go away, but it hasn t.. Any suggestions??
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  282
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

It is unfortunate that even when you are having muffled hearing you are consulting the pharmacist.
Although your problem may not be severe in all probability, it is always better to consult an ENT rather than take a chance.
There may be several causes for your problem and these have to be ruled out
The urgency is because if you are suffering from a condition called the sudden sensorineural hearing loss then the treatment given in the first 48 hours determines the prognosis. So please do not wait anymore and get yourself examined by an ENT
It may finally turn out to be just a cold or block which can be relived by an antihistamine and steam inhalation but better to be safe than worry

take care

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Fri, 23 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor