Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Noticed painful swollen lump below ear. Is this contagious?

I noticed a swollen lump directly below my left ear yesterday afternoon. At first it was just sore to touch but it s now cause the left side of my face to swell up and it is hurting all the time. It feels like it s going to explode and my ear feels like it needs to pop like when on a plane. We are having guests with a. Baby round today and I want to make sure I m not contagious.
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  118
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting on HCM

From your description, it sounds like you have developed an abscess/boil with radiation to the left side of your face. It is also possible that a tumor is developing there.

You will need the lump examined by your primary care doctor to determine the actual cause.

Not being able to see the mass myself and determine its characteristics make it difficult to tell the actual cause of the lump. If developing abscess, then you might require a course of antibiotics such as cloxacillin and antiinflammatory to reduce the pain and the inflammation.

If abscess later on collects, it will require incision and drainage then continuation of antibiotics to improve complete healing. To answer your question about its contagiousness? It depends on the type of microbe that infected it. Most at times it is staph or strep or other common bacteria that are hardly contagious. But it could be some other atypical bacteria. Avoiding direct contacting the affected person in most instances is the best approach in case the microbe is contagious.

Hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 30 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor