National Guidelines that Medical Professionals are supposed to follow

Are there National Guidelines that Medical Professionals are supposed to follow ? An example is, a person goes to the Doctor with a strong Cough, Tightness in the Chest , and Shortness of Breath . During the Doctors exam the Doctor says he hears a rattle in the Chest which indicates fluid build-up. But he does not order Chest X-rays. Are there any guidelines that say Chest X-rays should have been taken? and before you tell me to get another opinion. it s too late. the patient passed away 2 days later of congestive Heart Failure ? The Doctor diagnosed him with Bronchitis .
Tue, 15 Dec 2009