My Father is suffering from Loss of hearing, please suggest him

My Father is suffering from Loss of hearing and has had discharge from his ear for the past few years. We went to see two doctors and one suggested an operation while the other said that he can be treated with medicines. I looked up wiki for info and it does say that it can be treated by medicines. My concern is he is suffering from hearing loss already and if medicines dont work, the condition might worsen. On the other hand,if we go with the operation, would it be safe?
Sat, 31 Oct 2009