Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Mixed hearing loss. Using hearing aids. Suggestions

I am a 58 year old woman with severe mix hearing loss . I have new hearing aids but i cannot hear anything out of the right one and the left one i hear but can t understand what is being said sometimes. I have been told that surgery would help bring my hearing up to a level so that i can hear with aids. I do not have any insurance for this surgery can you advise me on where i can get help. I ve had this loss in my ears since i was a teen and i really avoid being around people i cry sometimes because i feel sorry for myself. I hope you havea surgestion for me. EuniceL
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM,

I empathize with your problem of hearing loss and your suffering because of them.

If your hearing aids are not helping you listen then you either need to upgrade them or get them serviced or even change the batteries as a properly placed hearing aid should definitely help you listen.
Nevertheless when you have a cold, or wax or when your nerves start to become weak also you may not get much relief from hearing aids. In this case you must consult an ENT and get an audiometry analysis done.

If you have a mixed hearing loss with good air bone gap (this can be diagnosed by an ENT), then your hearing can be salvaged by surgery. You need to consult an ENT in your area in general or government hospitals where it can be done at your nominal rate. It is covered by insurance also. You can ask me for the details where such surgeries are performed

Do not get frustrated or depressed. Hearing loss is can be treated so do not worry


Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Sun, 20 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor