Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Knee pain, discomfort while walking. On antibiotics. Prescribed knee replacement surgery. Treatment options?

Hi, my father has been advised to do uni knee replacement as he has pain in his knee and dicomfort in waking all the concern is at 72yrs of age ho will he cope with recovery and how advisble is this surgery for him. I have also been suggested to do alternate medication for him instead of going through a process of knee replacement. Now iam left with a choice of going ahead with surgery of going through right away or wait and watch his pain and imorovement with medicines prescribd
Asked On : Thu, 30 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Shireen and thanks for writing in at HCM
The risk and time period of recovery depends on the condition and physical condition of the patient. If he is physically active, no heart and diabetic issue than it takes no time to recovery. Complication of anesthesia is slight high in this age.
In my opinion first try all medication and physiotherapy for pain and wait for improvement. If you gets no relief than you must go for knee replacement. Don't wait for too long because it can effect the other knee also.
If your father is physically active and pain is worse than go for Knee replacement otherwise you can take decision by keeping the pain in mind.
Best Wishes
Answered: Thu, 30 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor