Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Knee injury, painful, unable to bend. Why do I have trouble bending?

Good Morning
Yesterday I banged knees playing football, and it only hurt for a second, but late last night it really started hurting. above the knee below the knee and the actually knee itself, it was my right knee. I t still hurts this morning but not as much as last night. It hurts to bend and when I stand/straighten it.
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Classical description of knee injury while playing football and pain while doing bending activities indicate "Meniscal injury" unless proved otherwise.
Meniscus acts as a "shock absorber" and is present between the two bones of the knee joint (femur & tibia). They commonly get injured during sudden twisting strains involving knee joint which generally happens while playing foot ball or other high impact sports.
Temporarily use ice packs, analgesic medications, compression knee cap if you have swelling , avoid running and jumping.
I suggest you to undergo MRI scan of knee joint and consult an orthosurgeon for his advice.
Hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 8 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Lohit K's  Response
Hi, Thanks for using HCM.

When you banged your knee, there may be some soft tissue injury that has caused. If there is swelling get one xray done. Take NSAID and muscle relaxant and give complete rest for atleast 2 days. Put crepe bandage for swelling and to restrict movement. Consult your doctor for examination and management.
Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr. Lohit
Answered: Mon, 8 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Raghuram's  Response
Hi !

From your history it appears that there might be a fracture .You need to do an x-ray of your right knee to rule out fracture.In the meantime you can apply diclofenac gel over the affected knee for pain relief.
Answered: Mon, 8 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor