Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Jaw injury, severe pain, clicking noise on chewing, popping sound on opening or closing mouth. Treatment for TMJ?

A few weeks ago, i got kicked in the jaw and i had had really bad pain in my jaw since then. It was starting to get better but there is still a clicking noise when i chew something in my jaw. However last night i was eating and my ear joint suddenly popped which was very painful. Today everytime I chew or even open/close my mouth wide it pops and is very painful. Do i have tmj and can i get it resolved quickly?
Asked On : Wed, 11 Jul 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  469
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

As you have mentioned you had an accident and harmed your jaw, chances of TMJ trauma or even fracture.
I would suggest you to visit to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and get the check up done.
Take an OPG x-ray to look for the condition of the jaw.

Take muscle relaxant like meftal forte.
Take a towel dipped inwarm towel and apply on your TMJ both the sides as many times as possible in a day.
Do warm saline gargles 3-4 times a day to give a soothing effect.
Do not open your mouth too wide while eating or yawning.
Take a soft diet and maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
You should go to an oral surgeon for this as your symptoms clearing indicate that you have TMJ problem. Oral surgeon will advise you specific x-ray to see TMJ area and find out cause. Sometimes it is due to some old trauma or infection. There are various treatments available to combat the TMJ pain. Worst happen you may have to go for TMJ surgery. So consult an oral surgeon who are the right dentists for this treatment. You can go to some dental school where all kinds of experts are available.
Answered: Sat, 8 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Divyaroop Rai's  Response
The pain you are having is because of the trauma you had because of which the joint got slightly dislocated and you have a muscle injury. To resolve your problem:
1. Take a muscle relaxant + pain killer twice daily to relieve the pain and loosen the muscle.
2. Place a heat pack on the site of injury/pain and do it atleast 5-6 times a day.
3. Do no open your mouth wide in any condition. Even when you are yawning, place your hand below the chin forcing it upwards, so that you don't open it wide.
4. Do not eat hard things for at least a week. Take soft diet and avoid chapati's etc. where you need to chew more.

Do the above mentioned things for 10 day. You'll be relieved of your problem.
Answered: Thu, 2 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor