Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
131 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is there any treatment in Ayurveda for curing hypersensitivity pneumonitis ?

Is there any treatment in Ayurveda on Interstitial Lung disease in the form of Hypersensitivity pneumonitis?My father is complaining of dry cough from January to May every year for 3 consecutive years and pulmonologist has diagnosed him to have Hypersensitivity pneumonitis after the HR Ct scan and PFT reports.He gives history of smoking,dust,exposure to fungus or black moulds as it has started growing on our house walls for last 3 years in rainy season which we clean after rains go away.He is on cortico steroids and anti allergic medications.Can you suggest any ayurvedic treatment for the same?
Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Report Abuse
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
Most cases of Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis develop only after many years of inhaling allergens, which include microbe, animal or plant proteins and certain chemicals that form haptens.
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is charecterized by diffuse inflammation of lung paranchyma and airways in previously sentisitized patients. Based on the length and intensity of exposure and subsequent duration of illness.
Clinical presentations of hypersensitivity pneumonitis are categorized as acute , subacute and chronic progressive.
The best way to treat HP is to avoid the antigen that caused it Your petbird, moldy carpet, or hot tub is the source of the antigen you can remove it from your home.
Properly dry and store farm products to decrease the risk of developing hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Indivituals who may be exposed to allergens should work in ventilated areas and use respiratory protection [ masks ]
YOGA, Limited human study exists for yoga in the treatment for lung diseases , such as bronchitis or airway obstruction.
VASA, Adathoda vasika and Ocimum santum an indian herb will control allergens. .
I find this answer helpful
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Munish Sood's  Response
1. Hypersensitive Pneumonitis (HP) also called as Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis (EAA), occurs mainly due to Occupation, so please tell about the nature of Occupation or Hobby of your father.
2. Because Doctor labelled as 'hypersensitive' must be of Type III or IV.
3. which form of HP is been diagnosed by the doctor, although seems to be Chronic, but still Acute on Chronic can be think of??
4. apart from cough, any other finding like clubbing, respiratory distress,weight loss, lethargy??
5. what other clinical picture does CT-chest has revealed?
6. exposure to Moulds and fungi is there (damp place), so picture is of Farmer's Lung/ Humidifier's Lung.
7. because, it is Hypersensitivity, thus main stay of any treatment will be AVOIDANCE of ANTIGEN i.e. dust,mould,fungi or any non specific stimuli.
8. Ayurveda Drugs which acts as Immuno modulators like Ashwagandha, Guduchi, Trifla, SHIRISH (Albizia lebeeck) can be given.
9. If HP is chronic, he will develop Pulmonary fibrosis sooner or later, for that along with medicines, Oxygen and Pulmonary Rehabilitation will be needed.
10.Consult with your Physician about future Modalities and Medicines.
I find this answer helpful
Homeopath Dr. Subhash Ponkiya's  Response
Welcome to health care magic forum,
Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a complicated form of allergic response. person who is suffering from allergy problems and treated badly with hazardous medicines are more pron to develop it.
there is a treatment available in homeopathy.
so consult nearest homeopath.
have a better health
I find this answer helpful
Homeopath Dr. Dhara Shah's  Response
hi welcome to hcm.see as he having allergic problem so he will be beware of dust,air,in humidity,strong smell may go for homoeopathy which is best one for allergic problem.he start with blatt Q 10 drops 3time a day in some water .by mean time concern any homoeopathic doc for constitutional medicine which gives u permanent relief from your symptoms.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I developed hypersensitive pneumonitis due to medication ,carbamazepine ,after several is its to respiratory consultant plus several tests,tell me...

Recent questions on  Pulmonary fibrosis

doctor1 MD

What are the latest Tx options for Polymiositis(Dx via muscle biopsy 3yrs)? How to counter complication of pulmonary fibrosis? 58yo male w/o prev...

doctor1 MD

Mucinac has been prescribed three times daily for a female patient of age 74 after a diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis; contraindications...

doctor1 MD

my mother is 81 years old,suffering from pulmonary fibrosis,she is on oxygen but main discomfort is she has lost control of urine and stool. she...

doctor1 MD

Was recently diagnosed with copd . Never smoked but grew up heavy secondhand smoke from parents. Waiting for results from ct to rule out a tumor or...

doctor1 MD

as i have uploded my chest xray pa view report .in report it is mentioned that few fibrotic strands are seen in right mid zone . is it a normal...

doctor1 MD

severe shortness of breath wheezing coughing have ruled out cardiac issues blood work came back normal at least no red flags so to speakPulmonary...