Owl Image

Is salt still bad for me even though I have normal BP ?

Is salt still bad for me even though I have normal blood pressure? Is salt still bad for me even though I have normal blood pressure?
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
My understanding is that sodium (salt = sodium chloride) causes more water to be absorbed into the bloodstream, increasing blood volume. High blood volume is only one cause of high blood pressure (HBP). Doctors often try to decrease a patient's blood volume by decreasing the intake of sodium and prescribing a diuretic to eliminate water from the blood. However, if a person's blood volume is not the cause of the high blood pressure, limiting salt intake will not be effective. If the person's blood sodium level is normal, limiting sodium intake will have no effect. The person's body is ridding itself of excess sodium properly. Therefore, it would seem that if a person's blood pressure is normal and his/her blood sodium level is normal, there is no reason to limit salt intake. Keep in mind that the body needs a balance of Sodium and Potassium. If there is an imbalance of these electrolytes, a serious, life-theatening condition could ensue.