Is it dangerous to use marijuana and thc pills to manage pain after surgery?

My friend broke his arm and had surgery a week ago..he says the pain doesn t go away with the pills prescribed to him and he s thinking about smoking medical marijuana or taking THC pills or drops for the pain.Is any if these ideas harmful to him and his arm?
Wed, 6 Jun 2018
Anesthesiologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

If pain is persistent then I would better put him on opiod medications like Fentanyl, Tramadol, Morphine which has better pain reduction and not having more side-effects than Marijuana. You can get prescription for Fentanyl patches in your locality and use it or can take patient controlled analgesia Fentanyl IV dosages.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.