Is Lysine effective in preventing Shingles?

I take L-Lysine for cold sores and rarely have them, but when I do get one, I run to the Lysine. Recently I decided to take 500 mg of the L-Lysine/day in the hopes that it will keep me from ever having Shingles. Experimenting on myself, you might say. I cannot afford the shot for Shingles and I don't like taking that kind of stuff anyway. I don't take flu shots for the same reasons, I don't trust their content. I just work on keeping myself healthy. I am 68 yrs old.
Thank you for any ideas or advice or experience that you might have had or heard of on this subject. Mary
Thu, 28 Nov 2013