Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

I suffered from rickets, what should I do ?

I suffered from rickets at the age of 13 and got knock knees. now i m 22 years old and the gap between my ankles is 12cm. is this a severe problem? what should I do ?
Asked On : Thu, 20 Jan 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  456
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Most of the time Knock knees are painless at your age but as the mechanical alignment is disturbed your knees tend to wear off early. you need to fix them. we often correct the deformity by doing osteotomy of your femur bone and fixing with plate of nail. you can send me the xray images to this e mail:
i will be able to suggest more after going through your reports
Answered: Sat, 5 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Joey's  Response
Proximal tibial osteotomy is a procedure done at your age to correct your problem if it is interfering with your daily activity. If it doesn't interefere with your activity and you are not concerned about it cosmetically you might think about leaving it alone. Physiotherapy or drugs have no role. Please have a discussion with an orthopedician who might be able to guide you to choose a surgery or not.
Answered: Thu, 20 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor