Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

How to treat minor skin avulsion?

How do I treat a minor skin avulsion? I cut my finger with a knife while cutting fruit last weekend (I thought it was just a regular cut b/c I hid it behind a band-aid ) Now I see the dead skin turning yellow which isn t a good sign. There s also a cut underneath the flap of skin. My hair or other things tend to get caught in the flap if I can t find a band-aid, so how should I treat it?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  453
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello dear.
Thanks for writing to us.
The best treatment is to remove that flap if it is small and do dressing with 2 % mupirocine cream.
This flap will cause lot of irritation and will also allow bacteria to grow under it. This will further increase the infection.
If the flap is bigger and wound is deep please meet your general practicenor. If it is small remove by yourself. Clean it with betadine or savlon solution and then apply mupirocine cream daily twice for 5 days. You mentioned yellowing that means infection is developing so it will be good to take an antibiotic.
Also please dont cover it with band aid this again increased humidity and infection. Studies have proved that small wounds if treated open by applying anti bacterial cream like mupirocine they heal better.
Thank you
Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor