Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

How to treat a schizophrenia patient while on a drug addiction ?

Hi - Right now I am in Phoenix USA, my Brother in Chandigarh India is a known patient of schizophrenia(NIMHANS - Bangalore), for last 4/5 years. as of now he is on Valproate (Depakote) for last 2 years - however sometime he takes Phensedyl / Corex, and due to that he become very violent - doing all sorts of Bad things becauase we try to stop him. Please advise as we tried rehabilitation centers, medicines, consultation - and it seems every thing works for him - however he slips now n then. Please suggest further.
Asked On : Tue, 17 May 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  162
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to health care magic family,
Your brother is a chronic schzophrenic and he on Valproate but as he is not under control,his case should evaluate and some change of medicine or some combination of drugs is advised.
I do not think Phensydil or corex has any adverse effect ,on the contrary it may give sedation effect.
Some time E.C.T. also advised.
You consult and discuss with psychiatrist and seek his advice.
ok and bye.
Answered: Tue, 17 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor