Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

How to cure SVT ( supra-ventricular tachycardia) ?

I am 27 yo, last year I had the first episode of SVT, my heart rate jumped to 230/min. I had 3 episodes of SVT since last year. I am taking 1 Toprol XL ( 25 mg) / day. I just need to find out how can I cure this, what about a surgery ? I am interested in the Radiofrequency ablation! How is it done, how long it takes to get my life back to normal ?
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
  User's Response
I have that. My heart rate was at 250 bpm, and it happened to me about 5 different times. The doctors finally prescribed me atenolol, and it works great. The doctor explained it to me like this. You were born with basically loose wires in your heart that give off electrical impulses which cause rapid heart beat. As far as surgery goes, there is a procedure where the insert a catheter into the vein in your leg, and direct it to your heart. They use an ultrasound to zap the electical impulses and loose wires. Sometimes this is successful. Sometimes the doctors miss some and have to go back in for more, and sometimes they zap your heart and you end up with a pacemaker for the rest of your life. That's why I chose to stick with taking a pill everyday. The practices the other poeple desribed can be used to stop an episode, but it won't completely cure the issue.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor