How to check whether touching raccoon has caused rabies?

today there was an injured raccoon in the road which i simply wrapped in a blanket and moved to the side of the road and adjusted the blanket several times. I was not bitten or scratched and did not even touch the fur of the animal. I heard that rabies can be transmitted if saliva of the animal gets into the eyes or mouth, is there any chance that when i adjusted the blankets i could have gotten saliva on my hands and rubbed my eyes or something, i don t know if the animal was rabid. Basically i just want to know if I m being paranoid or if i need to go see a doctor just in case.
Thu, 25 Sep 2014
Infectious Diseases Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Raccoon are known reservoir of rabies virus and can transmit rabies by biting the human beings. As you have informed that there was no bite or scratch from the animal, the chance of getting rabies will be very very less.

If the saliva of the rabid animal comes in contact with any breached mucosa it transmit the disease. As you have not handled the saliva the chance of getting the disease will not be there.

Theoretically it is possible if the saliva of the rabid animal comes in contact with eyes or the mouth. In your case it is very unlikely that you have contacted the disease.
Thank you.