Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

How dose a teen mom take care of a`child with hypo-plastic left heart syndrom?

how dose a teen mom take care of a`child with hypoplastic left heart syndrom? how dose a teen mom take care of a`child with hypoplastic left heart syndrom?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Without treatment, HLHS is fatal, but with intervention within a few days after birth, an infant may survive. A pediatric cardiac surgeon may perform a series of operations or a full heart transplant. In the meantime, the ductus may be kept open to allow blood flow using medication containing prostaglandin. Because these operations are complex and need to be individualized for each patient, a cardiologist must assess all medical and surgical option on a case-by-case basis. The two methods for treatment of HLHS are transplantation and surgical correction. If corrective surgery is performed instead of a transplant, it may involve the 3-step-Norwood procedure. In the first step (switching the right ventricle in functional position of the absent left ventricle) it allows the right ventricle to continue to pump blood to the whole body, followed by the next two steps (which are nearly identical with the Fontan procedure) to connect the veins which return blood to the heart and pulmonary artery. The Norwood procedure is generally performed within a week of birth, with the next two steps generally being performed within the first two years of life.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor