Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have shoulder pain preventing from sleeping. MRI shows arthritis with type 2 Acromion. Suggestions?

I have had some significant left shoulder pain waking me up or preventing me from going to sleep. MRI showed the following last week. Moderate arthritis with type 2 acromion . Sever diffuse supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendeionopathy with low grade partial partial thickness articular tear of the anterior leading edge supraspinatus tendon measuring 8x9mm. Mild spurning of the greater tuberose try. Degenerative slap tear. Mild fluid in the subacromial sub deltoid bursa. Small low grade partial thickness tear of the subsapularis tendon insertion 5x5mm. What does this mean? What are my chances of not having surgery? I have been doing PT for a week now and doing that hurts even at 5 pounds doing external rotation. I used to do 25 pounds on external rotation.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  57
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

All the findings in the description suggest ROTATOR CUFF ARTHROPATHY with DEGENERATION.

* ACROMIO CLAVICULAR JOINT(ACJ) ARTHRITIS - An asymptomatic ACJ does not require treatment even if the MRI is positive. The initial treatment for this problem is by ACTIVITY MODIFICATION by avoiding movements that puts strain on the joint and ANALGESIC MEDICATIONS. If the pain is very severe, then a STEROID INJECTION into the joint will provide good relief.
If everything fails, then an arthroscopic or open distal clavicular resection is advised.

* MANAGEMENT OF ROTATOR CUFF TEARS - If a tear is partial and small , conservative treatment is tried which includes analgesic antiinflammatory medicines and PHYSIOTHERAPY to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles and scapular stabilizer muscles. If there is no improvement, then an ARTHROSCOPIC REPAIR may be needed.

Consult a good arthroscopic surgeon in your locality and follow his advice.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Sat, 20 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor