Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Have respiratory problem similar to asthma. Any side effects of oxygen treatment or Diprofos?

Hello Dear Dr. Dinesh... My mother have respiratory problem from 5 years, and it seems like Asthma . She has checked many places but all in vain. When some one give her oxygen it recovers for some days only. Some doctors gave her Diprofos injection some time, it gives also relieve for almost one month maximan. My question is that is there are side effects of oxygen or injections . And is there proper treatment of disease like that. One said that her respiration pipe dont know what it called is getting shrinkage and when giving oxygen so it becomes better. Please advise me .. She is in great pain. Thanks and regards, Habib
Asked On : Fri, 23 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  126
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello Habib,

Asthma is caused due to broncho-constriction (obstruction of smaller airway passages) which is indicative of Hyper-responsiveness of air passages.

Management consists of:
1. Oxygen inhalation, broncho-dilators and corticosteroids - provide symptomatic relief during acute attack by causing broncho-dilation (dilating the smaller airway passages, relieving the obstruction & increasing airflow to lungs)
2. Montelukast preparations- used as a maintenance therapy.
3. Antihistamines can also be used to provide symptomatic relief.
4. Protection from exposure to cold, dust or other allergens.

Though prolonged use of steroid injections have its side effects, the risk-benefit ratio should be taken into consideration before administering them.

Presence of pain during coughing or deep breathing can be attributed to either fatigue of respiratory muscles due to labored breathing or due to infection.
Investigation like X ray of the chest will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Pulmonologist & get a proper physical examination done.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.
You can ask me a direct query on this website using the below link:

Wishing her a good health.
Take care.
Answered: Sat, 25 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor