Suggest treatment for pneumonia

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I took my son in who just got back from a XXXXXXX Hosp. where he was diagnosed with pneumonia
He is sleeping constantly and taking vitamins and lots of liquids and meals
His perscriptions were lost. What should we do? He is homeless and penniless and all I can do
is take care of him. Is he in immediate danger? We will probably go to our Bradenton hospital
in the A.M/ He did not want to go over the long weekend and have to sit for hours, he feels too bad.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a refill, supportive measures till then

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking!
Pneumonia is common pathologic infection of the lungs and is treatable easily with antibiotics and would have been a dangerous situation if the age was advanced or immune status was debilitated.
As your son lost his prescriptions, get him newer ones in the morning. Meanwhile continue supportive measures for pneumonia.Here are some
Analgesia and antipyretics
Chest physiotherapy
Intravenous fluids (and, conversely, diuretics) if indicated
Monitoring – Pulse oximetry with or without cardiac monitoring, as indicated
Oxygen supplementation
Positioning of the patient to minimize aspiration risk
Respiratory therapy, including treatment with bronchodilators and N -acetylcysteine
Suctioning and bronchial hygiene – Pulmonary toilet may include active suction of secretions, chest physiotherapy, positioning to promote dependent drainage, and incentive spirometry to enhance elimination of purulent sputum and to avoid atelectasis.
Ventilation with low tidal volumes (6 mL/kg of ideal body weight) in patients requiring mechanical ventilation secondary to bilateral pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
Systemic support may include proper hydration, nutrition, and mobilization to create a positive host milieu to fight infection and speed recovery. Early mobilization of patients, with encouragement to sit, stand, and walk when tolerated, speeds recovery.
Stay in touch with his infectious disease specialist or a pulmonologist and let them take care of your son.
I hope it helps.Take good care of yourself and your son and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
S Khan