What causes body ache, chilling, on and off fever and cough?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 25 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: I have on & off chills, bones ache, on & off low grade fever (99.6), cough & chest pain from cough for four days. Not my typical cold related illness and concerned it may be pneumonia.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Geriatric Pneumonia Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking Mr XXXXX! Geriatric age with such presentation is most likely a pneumonia infection. On off chills and bone aches might be due to different etiology most commonly anxiety issues and second afterwards due to UTI. All you need right now is a supportive treatment for it which includes. -Analgesia and antipyretics -Chest physiotherapy -Intravenous fluids (and, conversely, diuretics) if indicated -Monitoring – Pulse oximetry with or without cardiac monitoring, as indicated -Oxygen supplementation -Positioning to minimize aspiration risk -Respiratory therapy, including treatment with bronchodilators and N -acetylcysteine -Suctioning and bronchial hygiene – Pulmonary toilet may include active suction of secretions, chest physiotherapy, positioning to promote dependent drainage, and incentive spirometry to enhance elimination of purulent sputum and to avoid atelectasis. -Ventilation with low tidal volumes (6 mL/kg of ideal body weight) -Systemic support may include proper hydration, nutrition, and mobilization to create a positive host milieu to fight infection and speed recovery. Early mobilization with encouragement to sit, stand, and walk when tolerated, speeds recovery. A concomitant UTI assessment by Urine routine exam is advised too. Get to your pumonologist and let them sort it out for you. Take care and don't forget to close the discussion please. Regards