Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Have pain in upper stomach and rib cage. What can I do for relief?

I have pain in my upper stomach between my belly button and rib cage. The pain is intense and is worseing over time. Problem began about 2mos ago and it comes and goes. Today however I have had the worst pain ever and nothing appears to be helpful. It started shortly after I ate breakfst. I have taken ibuprofin and 2 doses of pepcid AC . Bowel movements are fine. I had an ultrasound of abdomin on 8/23 and I guess everything was fine because they never called me. Is there anythig I can do to get some relief now?
Asked On : Thu, 13 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  60
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, davemich624,
I am not sure how old you are. Pain in the upper abdomen
in the location that you mention can be due to few things.
If you say that yiour pain jgets worse after you eat, you could
have stomach ulcers.If you are a young man or a woman
between 20-30 years of age, I think duodenal ulcer. If you
are over 40+ years, I would think of Gastric ulcer, mainly
because of location of the ulcer.These ulcers do not show up
on ultrasounf.They may show up on an upper G.I.Series(x-rays).
Ibuprofen causes small multiple ulcers in the stomach lining.
What you need to do is to make an appointment with a
Gastroenterologist and hwve an endoscopic evaluation.
Good luck and I wish you.well.
Answered: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor