Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have pace maker, considering that the older pacers may not be harmed, suggested for another CAT scan. Suggestion?

I am a retired physician and have had three cat scans and a bone scan about 3 yrs. ago . I have a pace maker and now my spinal surgeon wants another cat. I understand from a news source in reporting on the new MRI compatible pacermakers that some radiologist are now consisering that the older pacers may not be harmed by the MRI. do you have any info ? If not how am I fixed to get another cat? J C Bradford
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response

hello, lets think in this fashion,

MRI is mostly considered having issues with the PACEMAKER, now new studies says the can do it in the old PACEMAKER, but do you think the new study was better then previous ones ? Then the argument is that same was the case then they said in the past that PACEMAKER may have issues with MRI, and They were sure of their studies, but the new studies are done to prove he previous studies wrong. So next step in a logical argument is how trustworthy the new studies as we know MAN MAKES MISTAKES. so its better to go with the old notion.

My point of View is

Well even if they say 99% is safe to do MRI on old pace maker , but what if you fall in the remaining 1% case , you being only one for you (only one of yourself exist) makes a 100% failure for you !! right?.

So I will Suggest to go for Cat- scan rather then to risk new problems with doing MRI.

dr. JAY
Answered: Sat, 16 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor