Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have low HB level. Advised to take iron supplement. Is calcium supplement is also required? What medicine to take?

Sir, I am a male aged 44 years. I am a regular blood donor. Today when I went to donate blood I was diagnosed that my HB level is 11.9.

I was advised iron supplements.
Which medicine I should take to have normal HB value. Further is it also necessary for me to take calcium supplements as I am already more than 40 years old.

Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  215
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.

An HB of 11.9 is not that alarming nor bad though its at border
line of lowest limit in normal range. It is important to know why
the Hb is going down. You say you are a blood donor and if that
is the reason why your Hb went down then not a big deal.
However other possible causes of reduced Hb could be poor
nutritional supply of Iron and vitamin B12 which are needed
for Red blood cell formation.

Calcium is not required in the synthesis of red blood cells,
however its an important element in the body and helps in
blood clotting.

Iron supplement of an average of 50mg per day for a month
would do you good together with vitamin b12.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Achuo
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. R.A. Singh's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

Hemoglobin level of 11.9 is not very low and can be corrected easily by iron supplements.
You can take iron preparations containing Ferrous fumarate along with Folic Acid.

Following dietary habbits will also be helpful :-
1. Washing your hands before eating to prevent entry of worms in your body, which may furthur reduce your hemoglobin.
2. Eat green leafy vegetables.
3. Fruits like Pomergrante is very helpful in increasing the hemoglobin.
4. Beet-root is also beneficial.
5. Eating Jaggery also increases your hemoglobin level.

You may also do de-worming by taking Albendazole 400 mg at bedtime in night.

Calcium supplements are needed only if calcium levels in the body is low.
Following investigations will be helpful in planning your management :-
1. GBP.
2. Serum Calcium.
3. Vitamin D3
4. Iron profile.
5. Stool examnation (Routine/Microscopic), to rule out any presence of worms in your intestinal tract.

You should take calcium supplements only if calcium level is low in your body.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Sangita's  Response

As your Hb is low you should take iron, folic acid, vit b12 and protein rich diet .You can take these in form of supplements also .Get your Hb checked to see response of rise in hemoglobin . If response is not good then go for CBC Stool occult blood ,KFT ,Iron profile, Vit b12 level and folic acid level . How frequently do you donate blood ? Ypu should donate blood once in three months.

For calcium supplements if you dont have any symptoms no need to take supplements .You can do dietary modifications to increase calcium in your diet
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor