Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Have hyperpigmentation on arms, cheeks, back. Open pores on cheeks, acne on shoulders. Treatment?

I have hyperpigmentation on arms, cheeks and back, and open pores on cheeks, acne on shoulders. I am 30 yrs old. the hyperpigmentation and acne on shoulders has been occurring since a year now. in my teens I suffered with acne on face so I have enlarged pores on the face. Is there anything I can do to treat this hyperpigmentation??
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  236
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum

You have two issues with your skin,,One is acne corporis with post acne scars...and the other is Hyperpigmentation
Acne is a common human skin disease, characterized by areas of skin with seborrhea (scaly red skin), comedones (blackheads and whiteheads), papules (pinheads), pustules (pimples), nodules (large papules) and possibly scarring. Acne affects mostly skin with the densest population of sebaceous follicles; these areas include the face, the upper part of the chest, and the back.
In your case, you seem to develop acne lesions only over chest and upper arms,..This is a common condition especially in adults,...Some general advise :
Avoid using any kind of moisturising creams/ lotions or oils over the affected area.
Wear cotton clothes as much as possible
Do not use any liquids like dettol/savlon over the affected area
You can however continue to use antibacterial soaps
You might need to apply some antiacne medications like Clindamycin gel over the affected area along with an agent like benzoyl peroxide 2.5% at night.
But if inspite of the above measures, you continue to develop the lesions, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics,,,
The second issue is that of pigmentation which is due to both post acne scars as well as due to skin tanning
You can start using a lightening agent like kojic acid with vitamin C twice a day. Along with it, you should continously use a sunscreen( spf>26) over your face before going out in the sun..Also take oral vitamin C supplementation continously for a month or so...

If inspite of all these measures, you feel that the pigmentation continues to persisit, then i would advise you to see a dermatologist who might be able to help you with other techniques like chemical peels, dermabrasion , lasers etc
Hope it helps
Dr Geetika Paul

Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor