What causes a dark black patch near the laparoscopic gallbladder incision site?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,
There is a dark black patch of skin around the top puncture site ( near diaphragm) of laproscopic gall bladder operation. the operation happened 10 years back and the stitches were all healed. the skin around this site became darker and darker , spreading very slowly and now it's black. the area is around a coin size and there is no bump or any moles there, only the skin is black. Is there anything that we should be looking for.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am D. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps the dark spot is due to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) or a Fixed Drug Eruption(FDE). An image would help me analyse it better. You may upload a good quality image in "Reports Section". Are there any symptoms associated with the patch?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Hi Doctor, attached the picture for your reference. no there is no other symptoms here..And the patch has not increased rapidly or such , it is same since last couple of years or at least that is what is noticeable by naked eyes. Just to remind the bulge at operation site is 10 years old as the operation happened then only. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding the skin concern around laproscopic scar.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the image.
There is obviously a slight identation/ depression/ shallow cavity/ crevice due to contracture of laparoscopic scar resulting in accumulation/ trapping of dead skin, hair and perhaps dried soap (used during bath). Moreover moisture and lack of proper cleaning, perhaps also a superimposed fungal infection together resulting in simmering inflammation over the years and postinflammatory hyperpigmentation leading to a clinical picture similar to an unclean umbilicus!!
I would suggest you to use a combination topical antibacterial, antifungal and a mild topical steroid preparation e g Neosporin ointment (polymyxin B and Neomycin and Bacitracin) and Cortisone cream (1% hydrocortisone) either used together or preferably an hour apart from each other.. Use twice daily. Clean the area daily yet gently after bath (when it would be moist) so that nothing remains pent up inside.. Do it daily for a few days.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor, will do that. So prima facie it is a benign thing and is curable. right?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Benign skin condition. Nothing serious

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

yes, it is curable. It requires care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vishesh Rohatgi
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Thanks Sir..Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
thank you for writing to us.