Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Have had scabs for a long duration. What are the bumps around stitches?

Hello, several months ago I bumped my leg while doing some work and realized that I had scraped my leg I washed the wound but did not put a band-aid on it and after a few weeks this nice sized scab grew on my leg about the size of 2 nickles put together side by side where the wound is and for a long time now Ive had what I thought to be a scab that itches witch I understand to be a sign of healing but the scab will not peel at all I tried and I managed to peel some off but it will not peel as scab and it acctually grew back it dosen peel like its healed its seems a though its part of my skin in the way that if I peel it im literally skinning myself and its painful (if that makes sense) so Im not exactly sure if this needs to be surgecally removed to heal properly It doesnt seem to be infected there are no symptoms of it being infected in this manner it itches like crazy sometimes if I mess with it but Im concerned because I ve had this scab for a long time and it has little bumps around it and still itches but im not having any reactions at all with having this for as long as I have can you help me?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  78
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Scab is due to bacterial skin disease..known as ecthyma.
It is streptococcal infection.
There is thick crust,which does not removed easily.
Poor hygiene,poor nutrition,immunodeficiencies might be resposible ..
You should be thoroughly examined and investigated by expert to rule out internal diseases.
To remove crust, you may do as below ...
Soak a clean cloth in a mixture of half a cup of white vinegar in a litre of tepid water. Apply the compress to moist areas for about ten minutes several times a day. Gently wipe off the crusts.
Antibiotics like penicillin or dicloxacillin may be used.
Anti inflammatory drugs may be taken.
Apply mupirocin oint to enhance the response.
Clean the area with antiseptic .

You may be benefitted, take treatment under supervision of dermatologist.

I hop you got my answer.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Answered: Tue, 27 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor